Jamie Peebles turned 65 on December 31st. At age 63 he realized he is a woman.
On November 28th we filmed her confirmation surgery in San Francisco.
Less than two months later she experienced her first orgasm as a woman.
Becoming Jamie: Shock and Joy will end in August as she walks her daughter Tina down the aisle at her wedding. The
feature documentary is Jamie’s personal, poignant, revelatory, hilarious, and joyful story told through video diary recordings and my filming.
|Jamie, surgery is tomorrow||Jamie, real estate agent|
Jamie is a brilliant television engineer: she set up the original Oxygen Media and Al Gore’s Current TV. She’s also been a photographer, a filmmaker, a builder, and a college professor. We have been friends for forty years.
Jamie did not realize she was trans until recently. She tells viewers that in hindsight there were many signs. Like being terribly upset when his tween body began to transform at puberty. Not knowing why, she tearfully tells us, he stole Novocain from his pediatrician father and repeatedly injected his testicles. Until one had to be removed in emergency surgery. She tells viewers that in hindsight there were many signs. Like being terribly upset when his tween body began to transform at puberty. Not knowing why, she tearfully tells us, he stole Novocain from his pediatrician father and repeatedly injected his testicles. Until one had to be removed in emergency surgery.
SCENE: Jamie is lying on an examination table. A tech with protective glasses, sterile mask and a large, glittery pin that reads: ELECTROLOGY taps on Jamie’s cheek with a probe. It beeps with each touch. Then, she tweezes a hair from Jamie’s face. “I’ve been on this table over 100 hours and it’s far from over.” Cut to Jamie entering her bathroom at home wearing only a black sports bra, leggings and a cloche hat, which she rips off revealing her bald head. “Look at me. This is why I suffer so badly from dysphoria. I look like an old man.” We see a paunch and senior citizen skin. Jamie shaves her stubble, leaves the bathroom and breaks down crying in the hallway. “It’s too fucking hard sometimes.” The camera follows her through her bedroom; she stoops to get through a doorway into an attic room that’s been turned into a walk-in closet. Still crying, she sits down and begins putting on makeup. When she’s through, she puts on a blouse, spreads her arms like wings smiles broadly, “All better.”
Other scenes we’ve already filmed:
- Jamie’s daughter Tina choking back tears: “I’ve lost my father. My children won’t have a grandfather. I’m grieving.”
- We watch Jamie playing Second Life, the online virtual game in her unfinished basement. She tells us she originally created a male avatar but after just three hours switched to a woman he named Jami Luvvi. Jamie introduces us to Jami on the screen. Late one night two years later, he looked at the screen and realized “that was me. I’m a woman, a tall, blue-eyed blonde, sexy woman.” From that moment on he identified as a woman.
- Jamie drives to Boston in October to have her breast augmentation procedure. Leaving her house, she lifts her shirt to reveal “my happy, perky before boobs.”
- Dr. Marcie Bowers, who is also trans, performed Jamie’s confirmation surgery. In an exasperated tone she declares, “I’m not going to cut off Jamie’s dick!” and describes how the head of the penis becomes the clitoris.
- A tearful and angry Jamie tells us she’s suffering from fistula, a leaking bladder, and has been incontinent since the surgery. She shows viewers the catheter bag which she has to wear for two weeks. “You think it makes me feel attractive? Fuck no! Oh, and I haven’t been sleeping either, so I look like shit and feel like shit.”
As filming continues, we’ve begun editing sample scenes while filming continues. A teaser will be finished in the next few months.
It is our intention to create a television series profiling a few of the many dynamic, smart and surprising transgender people around the country. It will follow the theatrical release of Becoming Jamie and will also be poignant, funny and revelatory.