Scene: Jamie is lying on an examination table. A tech wearing protective glasses, sterile mask and a large, glittery pin that reads: ELECTROLOGIST taps on Jamie’s cheek with a probe, beeping with each touch. Then, she tweezes a hair from Jamie’s face. “I’ve been on this table over 100 hours and it’s far from over.” Cut to Jamie, clearly upset, entering her bathroom at home wearing only a black sports bra, leggings and cloche hat, which she rips off revealing her bald head. “Look at me. This is why I suffer so badly from dysphoria. I look like an old man.” We see a paunch and senior citizen skin. Jamie shaves her stubble, leaves the bathroom and breaks down crying in the hallway. “It’s too fucking hard sometimes.” The camera follows her through her bedroom. Still crying, she sits down and begins putting on makeup. When she’s through, she puts on a blouse, spreads her arms like wings smiles broadly, “All better.”
Other scenes we’ve already filmed:
- Jamie’s daughter Tina choking back tears: “I’ve lost my father. My children won’t have a grandfather. I’m grieving. I still call him dad.”
- We watch Jamie playing Second Life, the online virtual game in her unfinished basement. She tells us she originally created a male avatar but after just three hours switched to a woman. Jamie introduces us to Jami on the screen. Late one night two years later, he looked at the screen and realized “that was me. I’m a woman, a tall, blue-eyed blonde, sexy woman.” From that moment on he identified as a woman.
- Jamie drives to Boston in October to have her breast augmentation procedure. Leaving her house, she lifts her shirt to reveal “my happy, perky before boobs.”
- Dr. Marcie Bowers, who is also trans, performed Jamie’s confirmation surgery. In an exasperated tone she declares, “I’m not going to cut off Jamie’s dick!” and describes how the head of the penis becomes the clitoris. Animation shows the male to female and female to male processes.
- A tearful and angry Jamie tells us she’s suffering from fistula, a leaking bladder, and has been incontinent since the surgery. She shows viewers the catheter bag which she has to wear. “You think it makes me feel attractive? Fuck no! Oh, and I haven’t been sleeping either, so I look like shit and feel like shit.”
- Jamie’s daughter Tina tells us that when her father first transitioned she became a young teen. “She wore the worst makeup and clothes. I’ve been helping her get it together. But she likes Justin Bieber. Justin Beber!” she shouts laughing. “He had such good taste in music.”
- Jamie’s making dinner for she and Tina when she realizes the oil burner has gone out. They head for the basement where Jamie promptly disassembles the oil burner. She looks on the Home Depot website to see if they stock the motor. “I don’t think it’s motor because I can turn the fan blade. Probably the solenoid. But I really don’t want to do this. It will ruin my finger nails.”
As filming continues, we’ve begun editing sample scenes while filming continues. A teaser will be finished in the next few months.
It is our intention to create a television series profiling a few of the many dynamic, smart and surprising transgender people around the country. It will follow the theatrical release of Becoming Jamie and will also be poignant, funny and revelatory.